Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

1 September 2012

Sermonizing





Preaching is one of my favorite things in the world to do.

I love the whole process. I love the anticipation of what will inspire divine revelation that week. I love the moment where I get sent down my path. I love the research... the historical trails to follow. I love the gathering... I love the collaborative process that social media allows. I love the nagging gut feeling of "is this enough?" I love the explosion of theatre, social interaction, working for laughs, and even the soul agony that the orator experiences longing for the message to be more than ingested... but digested.

For me, sermonizing typically starts with an odd fact, historical event, cultural oddity that suddenly STANDS OUT when it shouldn't. Like the famous little girl in red from Schindlers List who the author isolates as the subtle subplot to be a point of contact as the scope of story is told. That's what it's like for me.

This week... it was the smash 1751 hit song "Adeste Fideles" that lept off of my internal map. I've spent most of my sermonizing time reading everything I could get my hands on in the limited time available to me about it's controversial and unsettled history. You'll have to come to Freedom House tomorrow morning to hear how it all turns out... because as I blog this afternoon in the house emptied so that I can sermonize properly... the equation is not yet complete.

Items and shapes and history and quotes and scriptures sit like puzzle pieces on my Grandfather's desk as I await the Holy magic to take place as it inevitably does and bring them all together into something beyond mine own skills.

Preaching is one of my favorite things in the world to do.



No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...