Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

19 October 2012

My top 5 funniest individual TV sitcom episodes ever

 A coworker posed this question to the office this week.

"Without doubling up on shows, what are the Top 5 funniest individual episodes of a sitcom you've ever seen?" 

Because I'm a dork... I've thought about it extensively all week.  So here I go: 

5. TV Nation - Crackers The Corporate Crime Fighting Chicken.  1994

This was a short-lived Michael Moore show.  I don't like all of Moore's politics, but the man makes his points in very creative and funny ways that revel in "taking the piss" out foolishness scenarios.  I dig that.  "Crackers" was an intentionally goofy mascot that Moore kept having burst into boardroom's of companies who were committing corporate crime announcing, "I'm Crackers!"  I remember being ELATED watching the brilliance and craziness of this lamentably short-lived bit.  I'M CRACKERS!



4. The Office - Fun Run 2007

So many to choose from.  I was close to naming the infamous "Scott's Tots" as my Office entry.  But it's more mortifying than funny.  I was VERY close to naming Jim and Pam's Wedding but it's more charming and delightful than funny.  But when Michael runs over Merideth with his car and decides that the best course of action is to hold a run in support of rabies...  it becomes the quintessential "Michael" episode and a laugher the whole journey through

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Michael Scott




3. Arrested Development - Righteous Brothers 2005

I couldn't have loved this show more.  Every episode brilliant moment by moment.  But there was one character that was so overboard that made me glow in his absurdity.  Franklin Delano Bluth. The sass talkin' racist puppet who, along with Gob, desired to "break down racial barriers" in this episode by recording his hit song on the "Franklin Sings" album."  I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard when I saw it first. 1:10 in the clip.



This episode ALSO included the second best Franklin exchange:

Michael: We're brothers. We shouldn't be fighting. We cannot afford to lose each other. Gob: I can't. I already lost a brother today.
Michael: Franklin?
Gob: Well, I didn't lose him. But he's all puckered and white.
Michael: On the plus side, you can take him to lunch at the club now.
Gob: That's the kind of joke he would have loved!
 

2. The Simpsons - Homers Enemy 1997

So many Simpsons episodes to weed through.  But I've narrowed it down to one word... Grimey.  Frank Grimes.  Homer didn't stop being Homer to the maximum level of Homerosity the entire episode, even onto the death of Grimey.  It was a character driven, almost dark, comedic 22 minute masterpiece and remains my favorite tape to tape episode.



1. Seinfeld - The Contest 1992

I remember where I was when IT happened.  My friend's parents had recently divorced and I spend Thursday nights at his Mom's house with him watching Seinfeld.  Nobody missed Seinfeld in '92.  As the episode unfolded and it became clear that this was a primetime television episode about 4 people having a masturbation contest... I declared out loud... BRILLIANT!  I distinctly remembered my friend's Mom walking by asking, "Is this about what I think it's about?"  It was.  The four stars had that "cat that ate the canary" look on their faces for most of the episode knowing that then had done something risque, unheard of, and genuinely funny.



And that... for me... was the funniest single sitcom episode I've ever seen.
What's your list and why? 

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...