Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

15 April 2013

The 14% mental evacuation

  I am not a doctor. Although in an ill-fated and short lived radio gag, I did once refer to myself as The Dr. of Love until a "dear sister in the Lord" rebuked me for misrepresenting my savior for misleadingly posing as someone who actually earned a title when I was simply an arrogant, young, smart-mouth sending the sheep astray by my deception.  Darn close to a direct quote. Such a precious saint. Life can be... exhausting.

I'm also not a psychologist, nor a sociologist. I'm also not really all that aware of what healthy cultural norms should be. But I do think that:

It's a healthy thing for us to think about saying "Screw it all.... I'm packing up the family, growing a huge beard and we're moving into the wilderness to live like hermits on a lake without human interaction ever again" about 14% of the time.  

That's about once a week.

Any more than 14%?

  • We'd get caught up in wonderland
  • We likely wouldn't get anything done
  • Even worse... we might indulge ourselves in actually DOING it.  

Any less than 14%?

  • We'd be sucked into a never-ending vortex of concrete, capitalism, crassness and craziness. 
  • Our brains would scramble enough to STILL never get anything done
  • Even worse, we might indulge ourselves in actually FORGETTING that what we see around us... is IT.

Definitions of evacuation include the "Discharge of waste materials" and "leaving a place in an orderly fashion." And every now and again, I think that's a good thing.  I think it's a good thing to remember that working this hard land isn't our final destination and doom in perpetuity! Imagine that?  We ARE called to vigorously till the soil on our current calling of the plantation.  But it's not forever and I think it pollutes our mind to forget it... or to live there. 

Your, "Screw it all.... I'm packing up the family, growing a huge beard and we're moving into the wilderness to live like hermits on a lake without human interaction ever again" would likely read differently than mine.  It might be the, "what I'd do if I won the lottery" plan that we all seem to have.  That enticing scenario that you know, in your heart of hearts, that if you did forever... you'd rot. But finding rest in removal once a week... is refreshing.

You might have gathered that I'm contextualizing The Sabbath. It's God's plan of a day of rest... once a week.  14% of your time.  It's the commandment I like the least, because I struggle with rest. I don't like taking it and I don't know how to DO it when I do!  Complete abandonment & hermit living is where my wonky mind gets to without a healthy discipline of rest. I'd actually hate it. We're not CALLED to live as a recluse. What we really need, is a healthy short-term mental evacuation and then a reinvigorated reentry into our task.

When we don't do it well it effects:

  1. Body- Bad sleeps and Physical Vulnerability
  2. Soul - Alertness, General Awareness, Freshness of the mind
  3. Spirit - The vibrancy and acuteness of ours dreams, and our ability to use not JUST our natural eyes to see
  
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 says, 

"May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he’ll do it!"

But we have to partner with this to see it happen. We have to take care not to spend life as a permanent mental vacation, but there are perils of never getting out either for a breath of fresh air too.  I don't much like the habitual ramifications that might come from delving into The Sabbath to be honest.  But I DO like the promised results. 




No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...