Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

23 June 2014

Morning Musings ~ Being a "SLAVE" to the call


The moment I understood what "serving" God is, was the moment I understood that it wasn't really serving at all.  Accra Ghana 14 years ago in a business meeting, my friend Albert Ocran rebuked one of his whining missionaries saying,

"I am a SLAVE to the CALL of Christ."  

He said it with fire in his eyes and words and I saw "his call" play out voraciously in his life. EVERY day, rain or shine, early morning and late night.  Not because he had to... but because he HAD to.  It BURNED in him. Slave is a hard word but a biblical word. It's "doulos"and it doesn't have much nuance.  It's slave.  Paul didn't have the Road to Damascus smackdown for anything less.  He writes,

"Remember, if you were a slave when the Lord called you, you are now free in the Lord. And if you were free when the Lord called you, you are now a slave of Christ."
1 Cor 7:22

Serious and encompassing?  Yes.  Harsh?  Not as much as it first seems.  John gives us a marvelous insight into God's view of this relationship saying,

"I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me."
John 15:15

At the cross, Christ bought and conquered our sin that wanted to choke the life out of us.  We've been paid for.  When we, in the freedom we've been mercifully granted, chose to turn over our whole self to God's plans in the spirit of friendship... it's not a passive, balanced, hedged-bet ordeal.  We have a vital role in The Kingdom of God TODAY that will require us to go above and beyond to even approach success in.  And to do that, we don't try to achieve on a higher level of human striving.  Instead, we take our lead from Paul, the man who became a "slave" to his call and... and "die daily"

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...