Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

18 July 2014

I've never known how I was gonna get where I'm going

I've never known how I was gonna get where I'm going but I've always known the path.
I didn't know how I was going to afford to get married in college... but I knew the path.
I didn't know how I was going to get a job that paid apartment rent... but I knew the path.
I didn't know how I was going to get to Africa like that vision in my head... but I knew the path.
I didn't know how I was going to get into ministry like that picture in my mind... but I knew the path.
I didn't know how I was going to afford kids... but I knew the path.
I didn't know how I was going to shape the culture... but I knew the path.
I don't know how I'm going to get through my car repairs, my debt, my next visions, my growing grocery bill, my kids college, my mortgage, my retirement.... but I KNOW the path.

These are not trite religious statements.  They are neither small nor uncommon issues.  They are not easily, carelessly or flippantly stated.  I know WHERE I'm going... generally.  I know THAT I'll get there... in one form or another.  But I've NEVER known how, right up until this very moment thinking about the end of THIS weekend.

It's been 9 months since I left the broadcasting industry which I'd been working professionally in for 15 years and cumulatively for 20 years.  I never did make much money in broadcasting because I always had either a ministry or tent-making mindset. For the non-church folks, tent-making refers to when the Apostle Paul actually used his skills making physical tents in Greece to afford to live and eat while preaching around the countryside.

But just when I won a national radio advertising award and potentially stood to be able to leverage it into enough money where I could "know how" somehow... I was called out into the church.  Another "I don't know how" on my part AND the church's part.  Then I very much wanted to start working freelance using these skills to "know how" somehow.   I finished a GREAT pitch email that still sits in my "drafts" file.  It's not that I won't send it.  It's just that...


OBEDIENCE is "The Path"  

Obedience to God is the path.

Without FAITH, you see, it's actually impossible to please God.  Weird thought isn't it?  You can't fully please God and live a life that fully displays him if you totally know how you're going to get where you're going.

When I didn't know how Krissy and I would be able to afford newlywedhood... we prayed and obeyed and jobs came.   When we didn't know how we'd get to Africa... we prayed and obeyed and the money showed up at the right time from the right person. When we didn't know how we'd ever get to do ministry in a meaningful, culturally significant way... we prayed and obeyed and God orchestrated friends who let us start Freedom House with them. When we didn't know how to see city transformation... we prayed and obeyed and now we just hosted the Transform Your World North American Conference and they are shooting a documentary about Brantford that will be shown across the earth to encourage other cities that a tangible difference IS possible.

I DON'T know how God's gonna save the day today.  Literally.
I DON'T know how he's gonna save the day tomorrow.
I DON'T know how he's going to make my next decade of dreams come true.

As I sit on my porch... I truly don't. 
But I DO know "The Path" and so I have confidence that He WILL get me where I need to go.
 

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...