Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

1 April 2015

Randy Bachman comes to Brantford

Somehow, without knowing exactly how it happened, I got into the classic rock business. In the last two years we’ve been able to put together two sold out Rock n’ Roll shows featuring Canadian Music legends Lighthouse and Bruce Cockburn. And this June we’re well on our way to selling out the Sanderson Centre once again, as we have the good fortune of bringing Mr. Randy Bachman to town.

 I’m not a fan of the word surreal, but there certainly are elements of running these shows that are surreal. I grew up in the Classic Rock Revival era. Y95.3 in Hamilton was my daily radio home and they made it seem like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Bachman Turner Overdrive were the hot up-and-comers of my generation. And for me… they kinda were.

I remember being 16 when one of my big Rock n’ Roll guys, Randy Bachman, released the hit song “Prairie Town” with Neil Young. The video on MuchMusic was the best. It was nothing fancy … but that’s what I liked about it. It was these two old, cool, guys in cut off jean jackets were just lettener’ rip. Full on, no holds barred rock. He was singing about Canadian lore like the frigid intersection of Portage and Main Winnipeg being “50 below” and rocking out about learning to drive in the snow. I ate up every second.

And this summer I get to bring him to Brantford so we can all enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime talent. I’ll get to say, “Ladies and Gentlemen…. Randy Bachman.” And from what I hear, I’ll get to hear some of his rock road stories. In fact so will you.

How did this happen? To be honest, it’s simply because of the great people of Brantford coming together to serve one another. Maybe that’s what makes it so special. This concert series was the brainchild of Phil Gillies. In the summer of 2011 Phil, along with then political candidate Michael St Amant, began to join our Freedom House team on the street Friday Nights for our free street barbeques. We do it to both take care of needs, and to be an instigator of culture shift from 10pm until 2am… a time when the corner of Market and Dalhousie can sometimes use little kindness infusion.

Phil and Michael got hooked. They selflessly came back again and again to serve others, often those in the most vulnerable demographic of our community. We talked about everything from social development to Rock n’ Roll. One night Phil was telling us of how in the 70’s he lived out his music fantasies and, as a high school student, brought Lighthouse to Brantford. Then a lightbulb came on in his mind. “Let’s do it again! You in?” And that’s how a series of incredible concerts were born. It couldn’t happen without community sponsors and partners like some of you who I know are B-Scene readers. It’s been hard work for a whole committee of people passionate about Brantford... but it’s been the fun kinda work.

Show’s like June 10th’s Randy Bachman Concert are win, win, win, win endeavours. As for me, I will never forget driving in my parents big honkin Ford Econoline van with “Hey You” cranked on my BTO mixtape. But peeking out from backstage of our show while he sings it to full house … might be just a little bit more awesome. Tickets can be purchased at www.sandersoncentre.ca, at the box office, or by calling 519-758-8090.

1 comment:

M.J. Perry said...

Dave, it's nice to hear about your youth. I've only known you for the past four years and didn't know anything about the youthful you.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...